Bishopthorpe Social Club was founded in 1946 and this photograph was taken of the founder members during that year.
The Club purchased or rented the large, traditionally built house on Main Street, formerly a private residence known as ‘The Poplars’. It became a friendly meeting place for both sexes where, for a nominal annual subscription, members could enjoy a game of cards, billiards, darts and many other pursuits. From 1948 to 1966, the York & District Society of Model Engineers rented part of the extensive gardens to run their locomotives.
A large, framed copy of this photograph hangs inside the Club.
The men in the picture are:(Left to right)
Back row: George Pearson, Bill Snape, Tommy Mennell.
Middle row: Jack Elliot, Jack Masterman, Herbert Seal, Bert Tait, Ben Hudson, Duke Appleton, Fred Waite.
Front row: Reg Forrest, W. J. (Bill) Simpson, Ted Foster, Fred Finnerton, Dick Myers.
We would be grateful for further information regarding the history of the Club. For example, what was the initial idea behind the club? Was it purchased outright? When did it become affiliated to the Working Men’s Association? If you can answer any of these questions, please see ‘Contact’.